Friday, January 06, 2006

Almost Superman


In the life that was childhood, I spent a great deal of time imagining and dreaming. Outside the front door of my Grandparent's house was a set of concrete steps, painted green that became a forum for self expression and fantasy. Seven steps separated the common man from immortality, as each step corresponded with a superhero. The ascention to Superhero deity progressed slowly, gradually and with a price of fear. I would step up, and then jump off...this was the event that caused a change in my genetic makeup and turned me into a member of the Marvel gang or the Justice League. My uncle, Donnie, seventeen years younger that my father, and five years older than me, introduced me to comics. These little books of illustrated battles of good and evil interested me and caused a young mind to wander, explore, and long for a new identity.

The 7 steps began with an easy jump...and I became AquaMan. A decent hero, but talking to fish is not really that great in the realm of superheros. Step two entailed a sex change, and I became WonderWoman, who in retrospect was pretty hot. I wonder how the world would be different if women really had a lasso of truth. I shudder at the thought of such. Step three was The Hulk, in need of anger management classes. The steps seemed to be much more daunting in height once I reached step four. That one was Captain America, I always loved his outfit and how he could sling the shield like a frisbee. Step five was Batman, it was always odd that Robin did not make the list, but he was a little wimpy.Step six was my favorite, Spiderman, and it made my spidey senses tingle, as I looked at the ground rush up to meet me, as gravity did what gravity does.


The last step was the grandest, and the most challenging. For what seemed like years, I always stopped at Spiderman. Partly because He was my favorite, but truly because the last step made me soil my underoos. It was made of simply concrete, but for the Man of Steel, it had a high level of Kryptonite.

Fears paralyze me, rendering me incapable of moving, progressing, and becoming the Hero that I was made to be. Fears of Inadequacy, failure, and being found out to be a fraud, keep me from taking a leap that will forever transform Clark into the Caped One with a red S on display for a gawking world to see.

Over the holiday break, we went back to my grandmother's house. Grandpa died in 1999, and my uncle is married and lives elsewhere. Generations may come and go, but as the picture below states...God's mercy endures forever. The hand reaches and helps us to become divine. We can face our fears, bite our tongues and realize that joy is possible, when He holds us and helps us in the great journey of our becoming.....like Christ, the God/Man.

No comments: