Sunday, January 01, 2006

Shoes Go A' Flying



Exodus 3:1-5

Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian; he led his flock beyond the wilderness, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God.

2-There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire out of a bush; he looked, and the bush was blazing, yet it was not consumed.

3-Then Moses said, I must turn aside and look at this great sight, and see why the bush is not burned up.

4-When the Lord saw that he had turned aside to see, God called to him out of the bush, Moses, Moses! And he said, Here I am.

5-Then he said, Come no closer! Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground.

6-He said further, I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.


Now, I am no Moses, although I often lead others, as we are part of God's Chosen wilderness wandering troop, but during Christmas I walked on Holy Ground. We made a visit to my last living grandparent, who is now in her eighties. She lives beside the house that I grew up in, but ultimately left in 1995. Walking back into her yard, I was overwhelmed with memories. Take off your shoes...this is a Holy moment...You are about to be overwhelmed, but not consumned. I did not hear God speak audibly, but he was yelling within me. I took a deeeeeeeep breath, wiped my left eye, and walked around before going inside.Over the next several days, I am going to unpackage these thoughts, emotions, and memories with keyboard strokes. Words such as: Steps, dock, roof, lake, yard, fence, bike, concrete, and fish may be empty to you, but for me...they are "buffet style, unbuckle my pants" filling.The Life that was, is, and is yet to be...this was my greatest gift during this Christmas season.

No comments: