Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sermon Recap- Holding the Reins



There are many different styles and approaches to preaching. The most popular style is the Expository approach. In this approach the preacher usually preaches through a book of the bible and breaks it down, verse by verse, paying special attention to original languages, word studies, cultural dynamics, and attempting to make the leap from a time long past to our present day situations. I like this approach, especially for churches filled with people that are lacking in basic biblical knowledge. The problem that I have with this kind of preaching is that often it is repetitive. If you have heard one exposition of The Adam and Eve story, then you pretty much have it and know where the preacher is going. There are essentially no surprises.

Another approach is the topical sermon. I am not a big fan of this approach because often it turns into soapbox preaching. Often a preacher will pick a sin to "rail about" for the week and find a lot of "proof texts" to substantiate their views. Popular topical sermons deal with homosexuality, divorce, alcoholism, and abortion. Often these types of sermons neglect the systematic whole of the scriptures and reduce the bible to a book of do's and don'ts.

Some very creative preachers act out the biblical story in a first person account. These ministers are extremely talented and imaginative. This technique is effective if used sparingly. A problem with that approach is that often a lot has to be added to a biblical account to make the presentation flow. This could pose as a danger, but often these dramatic monologues show the emotion of the characters involved and turn the scripture into much more than mere words on a page.

There are other approaches as well. My approach is a hybrid version. I think that is is very important to listen to what God is saying in your life. Often we walk around, paying little or no attention to the quiet voice of God. We need to notice the gentle pushes and amazing things that happen in our lives. My goal is to tell my stories and encourage you to tell your story. These touches of God, these Holy experiences, in light of the total scripture are often the things that let us know that we are not alone.

Six weeks ago, I went to the urologist. Sarah and I both have control issues.(Laughter) Now before you laugh too much, I know that some of you do too. We are all compelled to control and often times we are so good at it that we are blind to it and others are as well. So, I made an appointment for a surgical procedure, and gave my fine, caring doctor a one week window to work with. He gave me a date for the procedure, and I gave him money. I lined up someone to preach for me, and Sarah contacted her parent to keep Douglas. Everything was great until two days before the surgery...the receptionist called. "Mr. Jenkins, I know that you were scheduled for surgery on Thursday, but the Dr. will not be in that day. We need to reschedule you for the next week. Tuesday will be your day."

Let me tell you all, sometimes it is hard to be a Christian. Guess what, sometimes it is hard to be a Chaplain too. Many things flashed through my mind to say, and none of them were biblical. I had made all these plans, and I had secured a preacher, and I had planned to Go to my Moms the next week and I had already decided what I was going to read in the bed after my procedure and I...well you get the picture.

I was riding the horse named Life and I was holding the reins tight. I expected my life to go in accordance to my will and the way I yanked those reins. Guess what? God taught me a valuable lesson. He kinda sounded like Kenny Rogers, "You gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.

The plans changed and I went to visit the family a week early. I had the best time with them that I have had in years. It was laid back and non stressful. I was only there a brief time but was able to have good conversations with several family members and we just loved being together. It was time to let go of those reins that I HELD SO TIGHT. It is funny how God knows us better than we know ourselves.

On the way home last Sunday, I stopped at my usual pit stop area off Clemson Rd in the heart of Columbia. I grabbed my coffee and got ready to pay. I was in such a good mood and so thankful for what God had done that I told the cashier that I would pay for the paper that the lady behind me had in her hand. The lady asked, "Well, do you want the sports section or something?" "It is just for you, and remember God loves you." Now I do not normally do that kind of stuff. In fact, I am not sure why I did it then. I got back in the van and headed up the road.

Sarah called and told me that worship went well. Before I could tell my story, she told me this:

"Richard, we were in Plantation Pancake house about 5 minutes ago and Billy Ray(one of our regular folks) came by and paid for my breakfast. Oh, he paid for Peter and Deena's too. (They had helped with services in my absence.) Isn't that something?"

Now at the same time that I bought a paper my family was being provided for. Now I am not one of those TV preachers that treat God like a cosmic ATM. But it is funny how those tokens of Good will come flying back at us.

So in the instance, God spoke to me reminding my that I can pick up the reins of my life and make a difference in the lives of others. our lives are here to give away...not orchestrate. Our friends and family and neighbors are gifts, not to control...but to cherish.

I shared 2 other stories, but will not type those.

Scriptural emphasis was---

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all Thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct your paths. PROVERBS 3:5

I used this text within the past 3 months---but evidently God planned for a revisitation!

No comments: