Saturday, June 07, 2008

May Reads

Blackston is from Greenville, SC--my former neck of the woods and writes great stories. I want to share a funny quote from Flabbergasted, "Kudzu, if edible, would do for South Carolina, what oil did for Texas."
Usually, I do not read Christian fiction or love stories, and I loved this and the other 3 in the series that are shown below. Great summer reads!! Read Flabbergasted, A Delirious Summer, and Lost in Rooville. I give them all * * * * and half stars.


See above note!!! Favorite quote from A Delirious Summer:
"We spend vast amounts of time and energy crafting a thesis in our heads of how life should play out. Then the almighty God spends and incredibly brief amount of time blowing our thesis to bits."

See above notes!

I am a grace guy. Those who know me--know this. If you don't know this--then you don't know me. I want you to know me--so I guess you should know this. Well, now let's proceed.

This is a great, honest book about realness and real grace. Top 5 books that you should read to be stretched a bit are:

1- The Ragamuffin Gospel-Brennan Manning

2-Messy Spirituality-Yaconnelli

3-Dangerous Wonder-Mike Yaconnelli

4- Provocative Faith and Beatitude-Matthew Paul Turner

5- Divine Nobodies--Jim Palmer (See Below)

My good friend, Peter gave me this book. I loved it and give it * * * * stars.

Good book about what God is doing in Las Vegas. Interested yet? I give it *** and a half stars.


Loved the book. I then went to the 5 dollar Christian bookstore at Tanger at 501 and bought all they had. This book is not perfect--but in spirit it is pretty close. I give it * * * * and .75 stars.

1 comment:

John T. Meche III said...

CS Lewis said that every third book you read should be outside your century. People 100 years ago had blindspots that we easily see, but they usually have remarkable insights on our blindspots. It would do us just as much good to read books from 100 years in the future, but we can't get at them yet. I say all that to throw out a recommendation for The Life and Diary of David Brainerd. He was one of the first puritan missionaries to the Native Americans. If you want a book that will stretch you and is full of grace, this is a great one --especially for anyone who struggles with doubt. There's a strange comfort in reading a man's cries to God. It's like reading David in the Psalms.