Saturday, June 07, 2008

Sermon Recap--Obvious




Every weekday morning, as I travel along Ocean Boulevard en route to sub at the primary school, on about my third sip of coffee, I begin to see them. Scurrying in ant-like fashion out of the condos and hotels and ready to begin the day at 6:45. They are mostly middle age and tanned. Who are they??

Yes--the are Golfers. Easily spotted by the funny wardrobe of striped pants and plaid shirts.

This week is Harley week at the beach and there are thousands of bikers here in town, hanging out and spending money. They are easy to spot (and hear)too.

I do not ride a bike, but I wish I could get away with wearing a denim sleeveless muscle shirt or a nice pair of leather chaps. Why? I am not sure--but one thing I know is that I would feel silly.

If I really belonged to the group of bikers or golfers then I would fit in. I would not feel awkward with the odd pants or funny black bump cap.

We all want to belong. We all want to be a part. Not just a part--but an important, valuable, vital, irreplaceable part.

Sometimes I take Douglas with me on pastoral visits. I am sensitive to the environment and the patient. If they have a relationship with Douglas and would appreciate his being there, and the setting calls for it, then he may pop by with me. This past week we went to visit Buddy in the nursing home. He is in a transition stage and should be able to return home soon. Douglas and I got out of the car and I gave him instruction of what he could and could not do. He knows not to jump on the patient or the bed or run down the hall or any other fun stuff.

We walked to the entrance of the building and passed a lady with no teeth. I held my breath in fear that he would mention the obvious, "Hey where are your teeth?" But he did not--whew.

As we passed the lady with no teeth. I was taken by the wisdom of her words. She said, "Lord--that boy is beautiful, just like his daddy." I know what you all are thinking--"She must have been blind too! But that was not the case.

Douglas and I looked at her and told her "Thank-you" and went inside.

Wow--beautiful just like his father. I am sure she was talking about the outer--because my inner is not too lovely. But yet, I still try to teach him to make the message of Hope obvious.

Romans speaks to our belonging and beauty. Let's look at it a bit this morning.

And that message is the very message about faith that we preach: If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. As the Scriptures tell us, “Anyone who trusts in him will never be disgraced.” Jew and Gentile are the same in this respect. They have the same Lord, who gives generously to all who call on him. For “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Sounds like belonging to me. Unlike Golf and Bike riding, No funny clothing needed.

But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them? And how will anyone go and tell them without being sent? That is why the Scriptures say, “How beautiful are the feet of messengers who bring good news!”

Now that belong, we are called to be beautiful bearers of the truth.

After hanging out and visiting a bit, Douglas, Buddy, and myself prayed together. It was a prayer for healing, hope, peace. Obviously--we are all called to share that message. Obviously, we are equipped to do so. Obviously, it makes a difference in the world when we do.

In Christ we are forgiven---live (grace) obviously!!

No comments: