Saturday, June 07, 2008

Sermon Recap--Vintage


I am a sucker for vintage stuff. Old cars, old books, old antiques (I think that means the same thing) but you understand. I have a book from the late 1800's given to me by a friend. This is a treasure because it is a collection of sermons from Charles H. Spurgeon, one of my favorites.

Just this past week, I received a text message from Peter Copeland, another friend. He had found these water bottles with our ministry logo on them. They are at least 15 years old. I am not sure what that says about the housekeeping habits at the ICO house, but I was psyched to get these vintage bottles.

We ate this week at a place in town called Burky's Grill. It has a vintage diner fell and they have great burgers and hot dogs and ice cream. Vintage music plays from Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, and Smokey Robinson. They even have a Classic car night--or "cruise in" a neat nostalgic experience that is a reminder of days gone by.


Jesus too was into vintage. This is evidenced by the text of the day, Luke 22:14-20.

When the time came, Jesus and the apostles sat down together at the table. Jesus said, “I have been very eager to eat this Passover meal with you before my suffering begins. For I tell you now that I won’t eat this meal again until its meaning is fulfilled in the Kingdom of God.” Then he took a cup of wine and gave thanks to God for it. Then he said, “Take this and share it among yourselves. For I will not drink wine again until the Kingdom of God has come.” He took some bread and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this to remember me.” After supper he took another cup of wine and said, “This cup is the new covenant between God and his people—an agreement confirmed with my blood, which is poured out as a sacrifice for you.

The vintage Passover meal-the meal of remembrance of the delivery of the Israelites from the hands of the Egyptians. The day that God saw the blood on the door posts and passed over the residences and spared the first born, this is the meaning of the Passover feast.

Jesus makes the vintage new--as he becomes the blood that spares and the life that is taken. He is the reason for this feast--and he reminds the disciples of the sacrifice that is to come. He gives himself for them, and he gives himself for us.

This morning as we come to the table, we are reminded of the wrath of God that has Passed Over us and on to Christ. We are spared by his blood and body and this meal ushers us into the vintage mystery that is the mind and heart of God.

May we prepare our hearts to receive this gift.

Prior to benediction I told this story.

I made a nursing home visit this week and it was a bit odd. My life itself is a bit odd, but there are certain things you expect in a nursing home, and that is not what I found.

The next door neighbor on the hall beside Buddy was a vintage country music lover. He was listening to Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, Conway Twitty, George Jones, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson.

Buddy and I had talked for a while and the music had been stopped for a few minutes. We bowed for a prayer. Just as we began, I heard from the other room:

Whiskey River, take my mind
Don't let her memory talk to me
Whiskey River, don't run dry
You're all I got, take care of me

Laughter from the congregation

I love Willie, just not in the middle of a prayer.


Perhaps we are better served with this new twist to a vintage county song:

Lord and Saviour, take my mind.
Don't let my past keep haunting me.
Redeeming Jesus, Lord on High,
You've all I've Got, take care of me.

No comments: