Saturday, June 07, 2008

Sermon Recap--The Tides


As a reward for a few weeks of exemplary behavior, we bought Douglas a new game for the Wii. It is called "Thrillville." The premise behind it is that you become the CEO and designer of an amusement park. You can decide how many bathrooms you need, how many people to employ and how much insurance to take out. But the best part is that you get to design the Roller Coaster. You decide how high the highs are and how low the lows are! You decide the number of flips and twists and turns. It is pretty cool!!

Think a few moments about our lives. How often we are in a high or a low. Our lives are so much like the roller coaster, one minute--at the apex and the next moment plunging at breakneck speed to the bottom.

Life is filled with highs and lows, mountaintops and valleys. If we could only know when we would be where. Or do we really want or need to know?

The past few weeks have been filled with highs and lows for me. I get to baptize two friends this morning. They asked me to do this! It could have been anyone, but they wanted me to be the one to have a part in this outward declaration of their commitment and love of Christ. I have been ecstatic about this all week. In fact, I may have even been a bit prideful about it. They asked me--I guess I must be doing something right. Oh--but the high was about to come crashing down!!

A few weeks ago, my doorbell rang and the person whose finger did the pushing was a dear little older lady that came up somewhere between my belly button and chest. She had a furrowed brow (never a good sign) and looked me dead in the eye. The conversation began this way, "Richard, I am so disappointed in you." Wow--she had found my air nozzle and let my air out slowly. Or maybe it was more like a butcher knife stabbed into the heart and soul of my air-filled ego.

The issue was this. There was a person that was sicker than I had realized. I had not visited her. I had called and sent a card, but no visit. I had a bunch of reasons, one being a surgery of my own, but I had not followed up as I should. She let me have it!!

LOW in the valley was I.

I apologized, she left, I was at the sick lady's home in 15 minutes.

LOW---but then I started thinking. Can I take Pastoral care up another notch.

Because of this visit--last week I took communion to the sick that could not make it.

Funny story--I even went to Bojangles and gave it to one of our folks through the drive thru window.

Now some people may have a theological problem with that--but I do not care. I felt called by the Spirit to do it and I did it. The LOW ushered me to a NEW HIGH.

Psalm 22 is a powerful Psalm about the roller coaster ride of life. Notice the text and the mood of the author that follows.

My God, my God, why have you abandoned me? Why are you so far away when I groan for help? Every day I call to you, my God, but you do not answer. Every night you hear my voice, but I find no relief.

LOW

Yet you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel. Our ancestors trusted in you, and you rescued them.They cried out to you and were saved. They trusted in you and were never disgraced.

Climbing higher

But I am a worm and not a man. I am scorned and despised by all! Everyone who sees me mocks me. They sneer and shake their heads, saying, “Is this the one who relies on the Lord? Then let the Lord save him! If the Lord loves him so much, let the Lord rescue him!”

Falling back

Yet you brought me safely from my mother’s womb and led me to trust you at my mother’s breast. I was thrust into your arms at my birth. You have been my God from the moment I was born.

Climbing Back up

Do not stay so far from me,for trouble is near, and no one else can help me. My enemies surround me like a herd of bulls; fierce bulls of Bashan have hemmed me in! Like lions they open their jaws against me, roaring and tearing into their prey. My life is poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart is like wax, melting within me. My strength has dried up like sunbaked clay. My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth. You have laid me in the dust and left me for dead. My enemies surround me like a pack of dogs; an evil gang closes in on me. They have pierced my hands and feet. I can count all my bones. My enemies stare at me and gloat. They divide my garments among themselves and throw dice for my clothing.

LOW

O Lord, do not stay far away! You are my strength; come quickly to my aid! Save me from the sword; spare my precious life from these dogs. Snatch me from the lion’s jaws and from the horns of these wild oxen.

Climbing back up



I will proclaim your name to my brothers and sisters. I will praise you among your assembled people. Praise the Lord, all you who fear him! Honor him, all you descendants of Jacob! Show him reverence, all you descendants of Israel! For he has not ignored or belittled the suffering of the needy. He has not turned his back on them, but has listened to their cries for help.
I will praise you in the great assembly. I will fulfill my vows in the presence of those who worship you. The poor will eat and be satisfied. All who seek the Lord will praise him. Their hearts will rejoice with everlasting joy. The whole earth will acknowledge the Lord and return to him. All the families of the nations will bow down before him. For royal power belongs to the Lord. He rules all the nations. Let the rich of the earth feast and worship. Bow before him, all who are mortal, all whose lives will end as dust. Our children will also serve him. Future generations will hear about the wonders of the Lord. His righteous acts will be told to those not yet born. They will hear about everything he has done.


High



I am reminded of a song that I loved when I was in college. The words carried me from a valley, back up to the mountaintop.



The Mountain
I want to build a house up on this mountain
Way up high where the peaceful waters flow
To quench my thirsty soul
Up on the mountain

CHORUS:
My faith is strengthened by all that I see
You make it easy for me to believe up on the mountain
Oh, up on the mountain


I would love to live up on this mountain
And keep the pain of living life so far away
But I know I can't stay
Up on the mountain

CHORUS

I said I'd go, Lord, wherever You lead
For where You are is where I most want to be
And I can tell we're headed for the valley

My faith is strengthened by all that I've seen
So Lord help me remember what You've shown me
Up on the mountain

CHORUS 2

You bring me up here on this mountain
For me to rest and learn and grow
I see the truth up on the mountain
And I carry it to the world far below
So as I go down to the valley
Knowing that You will go with me
This is my prayer, Lord
Help me to remember what You've shown me
Up on the mountain

I cherish these times up on the mountain
But I can leave this place because I know
Someday You'll take me home to live forever
Up on the mountain

This beautiful song was written by Steven Curtis Chapman, who this week was plunged into perhaps the deepest valley he will ever see. His 5 year old daughter was ran over and killed by his teenage son in the driveway of their home. Valleys are hard and deep and cold--but still God is there.

Now, Brian and Wendy Gibson will be baptized. They will step out into this low tide and be ushered into a new high. They will have the ocean rush over their heads as the "old person" dies and they will be raised up to life anew.

A life filled with beauty and simplicity and ugliness and chaos.

But the good news of the gospel is this--HE who controls the tides, forgives us. In his low (Cross) we are forgiven. In His High (Resurrection) we are ushered into life anew.

As you walk the beach remember that as you see the rising and lowering tides.





No comments: