Friday, February 24, 2006

Aunt Bea to Godzilla in 1.8 seconds



On our adventure to Gyeongju (pronounced G'young-Jew"), the historical city of S. Korea, I had an encounter with a dear lady. We pulled up to this row of restaurants located near a large waterwheel protruding from the side of the mountain. Here, a vendor rented bikes and go-carts, and from the brochure, in the snowy season, he rents sleds. So, we begin to walk toward the row of restaurants, and this dear lady was standing in front of her establishment. She said several things in Korean, in a nice, soothing, Aunt Bea "Come on In, Sugar," tone. One of the restaurants directly past her was a chicken joint. Koreans do not specialize in chicken, and I wanted to take a quick peek inside. As we walked past Aunt Bea, she went ballistic. I am guessing at this point, but I think her one minute diatribe went something like this:


"Hey, you dumb American. Why would you want to eat at that Chicken shack. You only think that is chicken. One good thing, you will not get the bird flu there..let me tell ya'..you dumb redneck, that is cat they serve there. Oh, did I tell you how high the food is there? It costs a lot to get someone to skin a cat. You see, those kittens have claws, and rumor is that they hurt. So, You need to get your lard butt in my little business and have some salad, and fish. You are in Korea now there is no Colonel here, and Bojangles don't dance in Gyeongju...so get in my place. No sweet tea, but I have some barley water that will make every thing go down smooth. No apple pie with vanilla ice cream, but I will offer you a nice, juicy orange.We have a good product at a good price, and we even have chairs for your wide load to park in. So, get in here and eat!!" So, the chicken place was closed, and the other places did not seem appealing, so we ate at Aunt Bea's spot. It was traditional Korean food, with Rice, Kimchi, and a bunch of sides.




I had a great bowl of hot and spicy soup. It made my nose run, which is always a good sign. After leaving, she said Kahmsahmnaydah.."Thank-You", but my country boy ears heard, "Ya'll come back now..you here."

No comments: