Thursday, February 16, 2006

Korean Octegenarian Variey Show

Yesterday, mid afternoon, there was a variety show at the nursing home. The band was actually good, as they sang classic Korean love songs, and were accompanied by traditional folk dancers. The elderly patients sat on the floor with their legs crossed, and wide eyedly observed the events. Most of them clapped, and sang in tune and rhythm for the full 2 hours. Near the end of the show, one of the female performers, asked a man on the front row to dance. He, in his 80's, got up and shook his groove thing for 2 whole songs. He looked absolutely absurd, but danced anyway.

I had one of those little whispers in my soul that gently said...

You see, this is life, we are all idiots, yet when we seize the opportunities before us to let go, become childlike, have no regard for what others think...beauty appears.

As he finished, his peers all laughed and clapped. He sat down, and his friend patted him on the back and offered him an orange. I know, it sounds odd, but that is what happened.

The emcee asked me if I would sing, I thought for a brief eternity and replied, I am very sorry, but my cold would not allow it.

I had the chance to live....and declined.

No comments: