Sunday, February 26, 2006

Just Curious




I have a date when I return to the land of red, white, and blue. As soon as my land legs return, Sarah, Douglas, and I are going to see Curious George. As I realized that we were expecting Douglas, I began buying books, and a huge George doll. Now it occupies a place of importance in his room, a place that changes each moment George goes flying, from an olympic sized slam from Douglas.
Like George, I too am a curious little monkey. I have no man with a big yellow hat to bail me out, so I am asking these Korean questions, not really anticipating answers.
1-Why are there so many gas stations in Korea? I have only seen two people pumping gas since I have been here. Is there a magic time between 2am and 3am that this takes place? I am befuddled.
2- Why are there lines on the roads in Korea? People seem to pass whenever it is deemed needed. This is most scary on a curve, at night, with no lights.
3-Why is hamburger steak not hamburger steak? It is some kind of processed patty of a weird combination of seafood, vegetables and sawdust.
4-What is up with the coffee here. Is there some problem with having good, old fashioned, drip brewed coffee? Is there a sanction against Africa, or is Juan Valdez considered public enemy number one? I have had 2 good cups of coffee since I arrived, as what is served up is like the stuff available at a vending machine, in a hospital, in 1986.

5-What is the deal with oranges? I like oranges. Clemson Football in 1981, made me a lifetime Orange fan! Oddly, everytime I turn around, someone is giving me an orange. Never refuse and orange, as it is insulting. My skin has an orange tint, and I fart vitamin C tablets, but I always take the orange. Last night, I was at a graduation ceremony. For some reason, it was delayed. Quicker than a Baptist woman can whip up a casserole...there were bowls of oranges at every pew, in the church, where the service was held. I would expect oranges in Florida, California, but not Korea.

6-Should Buddhists let people walk around while they worship? It is odd to buy a ticket, walk through a temple, gawk inside while folks are banging a gourd, reciting prayers, and burning incense. Imagine if this Sunday, someone walks into your service during the morning sermon, and starts checking things out. They do not sit down, just look at the windows, doors, and people. After gawking and snapping a few pictures, someone asks them if they would like to stay for a while and worship. "No, Thanks", they reply, "just a little curious."

No comments: