Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Trolls



I went into the chiropractor's office yesterday, and a little girl was sitting in the waiting area. She was slender, short, and had a sqinchy head with eyes too close to her nose. I really did not pay her too much attention, at first, and then our eyes met. She looked straight at me, and said, "You are............ Fat Albert", to which I wanted to say many things that were non pastoral. Yes, I am toting quite a few extra lbs. , but I am not fat...just well rounded!




She totally hacked me off, but I decided not to let her ruin my week. The past week has been splendid, almost fairy tale like. I am leaving for Korea on Friday, and the troll will not steal my joy. That little vermin, may she have bad teeth, acne throughout her teenage years, and her period always begin on the evening of an important swim party, may she be flat chested and suffer from chronic hallitosis. Fat Albert says, "Hey Hey Hey...you little troll", but other than those things...I am totally over it!!

This week has been a blur of giant yells from the usually whispering God. I go to buy a blazer for the trip. They usually do not carry sizes for big boned individuals. The salesperson then said, "Just a few days ago, this large size showed up. We never have one this size." Guess what..it fit!
It was 160.00, then half price...then 40% off that!! Hey...Hey...Hey!!

Then I looked at some casual shoes. Two pair felt like butter on my footsies. I wondered why there were no prices on these sweet leather jobbies for my feet. They were roughly, 150.00 a pair. I had a coronary, but my wife calmed me down and said that I really needed them. I bought them, and two days later a card comes from a family member with over 300.00 inside.
Hey...Hey...Hey!!

Then I received a card from some dear friends...containing 5 twenty dollar bills. Sunday at worship, someone shook my hand, and left me with 100.00 more dollars. Three other folks have given me twenty dollar bills.

Now please understand, money is not a big deal, but I am doing without three weeks of pay to go on this trip. So, ....the green is good for us!

My friend even let me borrow his Ipod for the trip. He is a cool guy. This was such a nice gesture! I now think that I have a slight man crush on him...just kidding, Jim!! But thanks, and I will promise not to erase your Michael Jackson, and Air Supply.

I have laughed all week long at work, a place where joy and smiles are an endangered species. Tomorrow is my last day at work until March, and I am, in an odd way, minutely sad.

I ask that you each pray for me, as I launch into these three weeks of culture shock. Pray for me, as I ask God many questions, and be still enough and courageous enough to hear the answers. Please pray for the family, as I am away. May they see that they cannot possibly live without me, and conversely, may I come to the same realization.

Pray for my back, (hence the Chiro), my urinary tract, (hence the kidney stones), and my food allergies, (hence the benedryl in the carry-on). Pray for the times of sharing the story of Christ. Sometimes it is so easy to share, and at times fear grips the song from my mouth. Christ, the one who forgives, restores, and reconciles people to himself....even Fat Albert and the troll.

No comments: