Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A small world after all




As I opened the door to Choi's home, it played the above titled tune. Little did I realize how true it would become. I duck as I enter most rooms, reminding me of our initial lodging at the beach. I hit my head every other day for the first three months. Somehow, I have not done it here, as of yet. The picture below is snapped from eye-level.





To brush my teeth, I kneel beside the toilet, as the mirror is aimed straight for my nether region. So kneeling down, I decided to try the toothpaste of Korea. In the U.S., we are left with a tingly fresh sensation after spending time with toothpaste on our teeth and gums. Here however, I thought I had just been commissioned to eat the Christmas tree. You see, the flavor was pine. Guess what?....Colgate is now considered a blessing.The shower head is another adventure, as water always shoots on my...nether regions. But, it (the shower head) is on a hose and I can move it around for maximum usage.I celebrated a traditional Korean meal yesterday with managers of nursing home facilities in the region. My friend Choi is a pastor, who runs a 45 patient nursing home. I wish you all could meet him. In my opinion, he is the most Christlike person that I have ever encountered. That is a pretty fair compliment...don't you think. Well, I knelt down and crossed my legs Indian style, an effort not tried since 1998. I looked at the table and saw at least 50 dishes. It reminded me of a homecoming service, or dinner at Grandma Ruby's, except for the choices that I had. Many raw fish dishes, with one of my favorites directly in front of me. Calamari, WOW! The only problem is that this octopus was not cooked, it was however cut up, but still squirming. I tried to find other options, but the raw chicken egg was not appetizing either. I tried some raw beef and the octopus, and they waged war all afternoon in my stomach. I think the octopus won because when you kill a cow it stops moving.







At the conclusion of the meal, I saw a fish head left in the bowl of soup with a small eye looking up at me. See, he said...it could be worse.


No comments: