Saturday, February 18, 2006

Reflections from Korea



"I raise this cup to your health, my friend"


This is a post week one reflection of my time here in Korea. Notice the interplay between bad and good.


Bad

1-Plane Trip

2-TV

3-No Sports on TV-I actually watched Korean ice dancing. Oh the horror!!

4-No distinct breakfast foods=Kimchi and rice at 8am

5-Raw fish and beef

6-No good coffee

7-Lack of conversations of depth in english

8-Being much larger than everyone

9-Taking shoes off before entering rooms

10-being away from family

11-preaching with translator--lack of cultural knowledge to meet psycho-spiritual need.


Good


Choi and family have been more than gracious to me. I have been lavished with Christian love, and I only hope that I one day can return the favor!!


1-Plane trip when it ends

2-Refamiliarization with music--Jackson Browne, Golden Earring, Rich Mullins, Andrew Peterson

3-Watching sports scores on internet at 9am

4-No heartburn yet

5-learning to adapt--eating soups and fruits and veggies

6-green tea

7-time for contemplation

8-desire to change outward appearance

9-warm feeling of feet on heated floors and having the biggest shoes outside door

10-realizing how cool my family really is!!

11-dependant on working together with someone else to accomplish a sermon. Usually I suffer from the "Lone Ranger" syndrome.


So, the Lord taketh away and he giveth in return. Scripture in reverse, but it still makes perfect sense.

No comments: